Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Maggot Brain

Song of the week for Jan 10-16:

I just heard this song at the end of the episode of the show House M.D. It is called Maggot Brain by Funkadelic. It's really just a long guitar solo, the song is 10:18, so it definitely is long but its haunting. As soon as I heard it on the show, I was like I got to find out what that song is.

A little background on the song. In the book "1001 albums you must hear before you die", it says George Clinton, the head of the group as well as Parliament, locked guitarist Eddie Hazel in the studio and demanded, "Play like your mother just died." I can totally get that from this song. The book goes on to say "Hazel did just that providing a spectral, plaintive, nine minute guitar solo that eclipsed everything he and the group did, before or after." I think the song lacks a little bit in the middle but it brings it back around in the end to save it. The album is ranked #486 in Rolling Stone magazines list of top 500 albums of all time. I own it but I have yet to listen to it, but I probably will jump on it soon after hearing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment